LED lights are fast becoming the lighting fixture of choice in many homes, and for good reason: it is more energy efficient than other kinds of lighting and these lights also come in many designs that can suit any style in the home. If you are going through a home makeover and you’re thinking of installing new lights, LED downlights are a good option for a number of reasons.
The first advantage that comes with using LED lights in your home is its high energy efficiency. Unlike lighting fixtures in the past, a LED bulb can actually convert most of the energy it consumes into actual light. The percentage efficiency of LED lights can be as high as 85 per cent, in fact. This is a substantial difference over other kinds of lighting; for instance, a standard halogen bulb converts as much as 90 per cent of the electricity it consumes into heat, with only the remaining 10 per cent being turned into usable light. LED bulbs, on the other hand, only waste as little as 15 per cent of the electricity it consumes through heat production.
This low heat production is also another advantage that using LED bulbs offers over other kinds lighting. Because a LED light does not get hot, it does not have a substantial contribution to the heat in a room, which helps maximize the efficiency of air conditioners and other cooling devices that are in use. This is unlike heat-producing lamps that utilize incandescent or halogen bulbs; the heat produced from these light sources can greatly affect the temperature of a room and thus put more stress on cooling appliances.
In addition to higher energy efficiency and low temperatures, lamps that use LED bulbs are also far safer to use than traditional lighting fixtures. The cool bulbs cannot burn fingers or the skin, and since the bulbs are solid in construction and without any glass parts, they also do not produce any hazardous shards upon breakage. This solid construction also enhances the durability of LED bulbs: because they are not made of hollow glass, they are not prone to breaking due to vibration or shaking.
Lastly, LED light bulbs are more eco-friendly lighting options than incandescent or even fluorescent light bulbs. These compact light sources consume little energy, which not only translates into smaller power bills, but also a much smaller and more environment-friendly carbon footprint. LED bulbs also do not contain any toxic substances, such as mercury and halogen gases, making them an incredibly safe light source for both the environment and the humans and other living creatures that inhabit it.